Friday 16 October 2009

Interview - The Little Philistines - Southsea Fest

Another of the interviews I carried out in the Kings Theatre's bar during Southsea Fest. Very cheery and charming band.

Previously published on mINtSOUTH.com in September 2009
Words - Suzy Sims
Editor - Rob Ball
(c) mINtSOUTH.com

INTERVIEW - THE LITTLE PHILISTINES @ SOUTHSEA FEST 2009

mINtSOUTH: Tell me a bit about yourselves.
Emily: “We all live in London. I’m from Southend which is a seaside town so I kind of have a kindred feeling with Southsea. John and Rob decided to have a new band. John said let’s have Adam, and I wanted to be in the band but they would only let me sing and play violin if I also agreed to play keyboards.”
John: “…And if she brought biscuits.”
Emily
: “Then after that had all been sorted we didn’t have a drummer, then at my birthday party one year we did a little gig and Matt begged us to let him play.”

mINtSOUTH: Can you describe your music?
The Little Philistines: “Poppy, indie, guitary, violiny, quirky, banging drumming, harmonies, intelligent lyrics, a bit political. Music to have fun to basically - but also to make you think.”

mINtSOUTH: What do you like your listeners to be doing while they’re listening to you?
Emily: “Hopefully our listeners will be singing along with our music, or dancing, or both. We did an acoustic set for Recharged Radio and it was nice to get instant feedback in the chatroom.”

mINtSOUTH: Southsea Fest – have you played yet today?
The Little Philistines: “We played at the Kings upstairs. It was great. Everyone’s just been really really friendly.” John: “But then I don’t imagine many people are drunk yet, so maybe later it will turn dark…”
Adam: “It’s a great set up having all these venues on the same road. It’s really cool.”

mINtSOUTH: Any bands you’re looking forward to seeing? The Little Philistines: “Tubelord, Anja McCloskey who’s from Haunted Stereo, Strange Death of Liberal England, Beans On Toast.”

mINtSOUTH: What are your plans for the rest of the weekend?
Rob: “That’s very forward of you.”
Matt: “I’ve got to drive to Sheffield tomorrow for my mum’s birthday, so I’m missing all the bands I want to see today. This Town Needs Guns, I wish I were seeing. This City I wish I were seeing, The Xcerts I wish I were seeing.”
John: “Emily, can you go and get the violins?
Adam: “I’m going to find out where the free drink is. The rest of the weekend may do as it will.”

mINtSOUTH: How did you choose the name of your band?
Emily: "There was a bit of a band name war, it went on for several decades. We ended up with a shortlist and The Little Philistines was on the shortlist because that’s what my dad used to call me and my sister when we were little and we didn’t appreciate culture. It kind of won by default because it was the least unpopular. But actually we’ve quite grown into it now. My dad’s reaction has been fairly non-committal - he just raised his eyebrows.”

mINtSOUTH: Which band member would you eat first on a desert island?
Matt: “I’m the meatiest.”
John: “I think I would go for Emily because I suspect that Emily eats the best out of all of us. We should get the nutrients from what she’s eating.”

mINtSOUTH: Gorilla versus bear – who would win in a fight?
Matt: “Bear. I’ve seen Grizzly Man.”
John: “A Gorilla could knock your head off with one swipe.”
Adam: “If we’re talking a polar bear, they’re huge.”
Matt: “How many bands split up over this question?”

Shoutbox – Single ‘Bus Pass / Judith Cut My Head Off’ is out now on iTunes.

http://www.myspace.com/thelittlephilistines

1 comment:

  1. Hi Suzy

    I do the online pr for Flamboyant Bella who I've seen you review firstly I like to say thanks for the write up and secondly could I get an email address for you so I can send you some musical tidbits. My email addy is andre@workitmedia.net

    ReplyDelete