Saturday 8 May 2010

Single Review - The Little Philistines 'Head On Fire'

Words - Suzy Sims, April 2010


THE LITTLE PHILISTINES - HEAD ON FIRE

To my surprise and wonder, my life is on the up.

London types The Little Philistines don’t ever have dark days, misery or humdrum times. There’s no moodiness, no bad rock attitude, no complicated time signatures. They are possibly the most cheerful sounding band I’ve heard in some time, equally at home in a mucky scruffy indie venue as they could be dressed as clowns entertaining at a children’s party, juggling with cakes and balloon animals and the like. Possibly.

It therefore gives me pleasure to announce that Head On Fire is another chipper single to get your toes skipping excitedly and your head spinning. “My body is a holy temple / I fill it up with smoke,” they announce before launching into the catchy heads on fire and beds on fire line. Gosh, they’re just so darn jolly. I particularly liked the lyric “Even death has a drink at the weekend.” This is a spritely and relentlessly cheerful tune.

Head On Fire is a double A side released alongside Stick Together which has a hint of the Sixties in the jangling guitar. This one is a bit more subdued and subtle, yet warming. The comfortable softness provides a rest from the band’s usual exhaustingly happy pace.

Be sure to check out the cartoon artwork, which is drawn by the Little Philistines’ John Riordan.

The Little Philistines are a pick me up band for those who like their indie pop to be friendly and their tunes bright. As appealing as they are, I imagine some people would be turned off by their permanent smile. However if you’re an easy-going sort and like to keep your mood buoyant, then give them a whirl.

The Little Philistines

No comments:

Post a Comment