Wednesday 11 June 2008

Interview - The Sheilas

This was an email questionnaire, hence the unusually high number of exclamation amrks which I wouldn't ordinarily allow. I must have been in a VERY good mood.

Words - Suzy Sims
Previously published on Native.tv http://www.native.tv in September 2007
(c) Niche News & Publishing Ltd

THE SHEILAS

In order to prove ourselves as worthy, intellectual and credible music journalists, we've only gone and interviewed The Sheilas. That's right, the pink and sparkly gels last seen advertising car insurance on TV. Just don't say a word. The delightful Carly Romain answered our questions about Pete Waterman, Pete Doherty, and the colour pink while making some fairly obvious plugs for their new single...

Hi there. Which of you is answering this?
Hiya… it’s Carly here!

How is your summer going, been up to much?
Yeah, it’s great! We’ve been such busy little bees! Out and about promoting the single – gigging, photo shoots, interviews. My hair is suffering badly from all the backcombing and hair spray, if I’m honest! It’s worth it though, it’s been soooo much fun.

The chicken or egg question… Which came first, The Sheilas or the car insurance adverts?
The car insurance adverts definitely. If it wasn’t for ‘Sheila’s Wheels’ we wouldn’t be where we are today. They created such a fantastically catchy and fun campaign. We could see early on that we were involved in something very special, but we never, ever dreamt we’d be signing a record deal with Pete Waterman.

I hear people have been putting their own versions of the Sheila’s Wheels dance up on the internet – are there any you like? How does it feel to have people copying you in this way?
I know… they’re so clever and funny! I love the one with the little hamster riding in a pink car. Don’t suppose the hamster found it that amusing though – poor thing!

How did you girls meet?
I only met the girlies for the first time at the casting for the adverts. It was bizarre though ‘coz we had so many auditions for it, but they grouped the three of us together almost immediately. Maybe they could feel the love!

Can you tell me a fact about each of you?
Errr… I’m the one who always needs a wee when we’re on the road! Emma has recently bought one of those toy ‘Troll’ things with pink spiky hair - she reckons we need a baby Sheila for the band. Hmmm... Cathi wears those strange jelly things in her high heels. Sorry, did you want serious facts about us?

So you’re working with Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Congratulations! How does it feel to be working alongside such musical legends? Are you fans?
Of course I’m a fan! It’s amazing! I still can’t quite believe it. I grew up listening to Kylie, Jason and Rick Astley and remember making up dance routines in my bedroom. Now it’s us! How lucky are we!!!

Are there any of their previous hits you particularly like?
It’s got to be ‘I Should Be So Lucky’. I absolutely adored Kylie and still do!

What are you hoping to achieve from working with them?
Obviously it would be amazing to have a hit record/s and record an album too, but the most important thing for us girlies is to be out there performing and having fun, and we couldn’t wish for better people than ‘SAW’ to achieve this with.

I hear you’re quite popular on the student and gay circuits…
Yeah, most of our gigs are at gay venues or student events and we are still amazed by the reception we get. All of our audiences have been so fantastic. I think we appeal to such a wide range of people because we are so pink, fun and definitely don’t take ourselves too seriously. I think this is why Pete liked the idea so much.

Are you fans of The Pipettes and The Puppini Sisters?
Absolutely. I really love their music and think their styling is wicked too. In fact I have them both on my iPod.

Have you considered wearing colours other than pink?
No way! It has to be pink… or at least accessorised with pink. Scary thing is though, more and more pink is creeping its way into my real life wardrobe too – ahhh!

Are we likely to see any Pete Doherty-type rock and roll excesses from yourselves?
Don’t be daft! We’re Sheilas! The only things we indulge in are pink glitter, gloss and candyfloss!

And to finish, some cheesy Top Three questions. Can you name three things you always carry with you?
1) My secret diary. I have this obsession with logging everything… and I mean every little detail in my diary – freak!
2) Wet Wipes. I hate that dirty London hands feeling - anyone who lives in London will know what I mean!
3) Diet Coke – I’m working on my addiction.

Three Things you would never do on stage?
1) Mime!
2) Wear anything but pink!
3) Not be happy, happy, happy!

and Three Things you often say to each other?
1) “Will you put my lashes on?”
2) “Do we do one kiss or two?” (It’s not what it sounds! How do you know if a person is a one cheek kisser or two?)
3) “(I’m So) Happy Happy (You’re Mine)"

--------

The Sheilas release '(I'm So) Happy Happy (You’re Mine)' on September 24th

No comments:

Post a Comment