Wednesday 11 June 2008

Interviews - Star Students

It was 'going back to school/college/university' time, so I asked recent interviewees some vaguely study related subjects, proper Smash Hits style.

Words - Suzy Sims
Previously published on Native.tv http://www.native.tv in September 2007
(c) Niche News & Publishing Ltd

STAR STUDENTS

ROONEY

What was your best subject?
Louie: I took some music classes, that was my most enjoyable subject.
Matthew: I did well in English and History.
Ned: I enjoyed Spells and Dark Arts at Hogwarts. I was also into History and English.

Have you got any advice for people going off to university this year?
Louie: Buck up and get it done.
Taylor: Quit your crying.
Louie: Put it behind you, don’t look back.
Taylor: If it takes a few extra years, that’s ok. Don’t get down. It’s not about how long it takes. It’s about completion.
Ned: I agree. Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.

Did you have any part time jobs when you were students?
Matt: Aside from an internship I have, this is the only job I’ve ever had. We all were pretty spoilt!

Any advice for students?
Louie: Sometimes if you can start a relationship with one of your teachers, that can ease the burden of your homework load a little bit.
Ned: An intimate relationship.
Louie: I’m talking about a full contact relationship with a teacher.
Taylor: Any teacher whose course you may be struggling in is the teacher you should be getting a full contact relationship with.

AMY MACDONALD

What was your best subject when you were studying?
It was geography. My geography teacher was my favourite teacher ever of anything I’ve ever done, it just made me have a passion for the subject by having a good teacher.

Where did you hang out at breaktimes?
We had a room called the Crash Hall, which was just a big massive hall with vending machines and benches where everyone could sit or you could go outside but we always chose to stay in.

Have you got any advice for people starting new courses?
Just keep at it and try not to fall asleep!

KENNEDY

What were your best subjects?
Kennedy: I was really good at biology. And I’m still pretty good at biology.

Did you ever get detention?
Kennedy: I got detention once and I got suspended once. I shot this spitball at this girl, because I had a crush on her – it’s still the way I date – but the wind took it and it carried it and it hit the vice principal on the back of the head. And so I got suspended.

I think that’s something you should be proud of.
Kennedy: At the time I was like ‘This is the end of my life! It’s all over!’ and now I’m like ‘I’m glad I did it.’

You go back to your locker at the end of the year and you find something which you left in there at the start of the year and forgot about. What it is?
Kennedy: Oh that’s probably my lunch. And it’s probably got mushrooms growing in it.

Your mum would be so upset with you.
Kennedy: My mum was the noon duty aid, you know the lady who like punishes people? She’s kind of in charge of the yard while everyone’s at recess. She made my life miserable because she was just punishing everybody. Everybody hated me because I was her son. But then to make it even more amazingly weird, she had some weird surgery on her face, and she couldn’t be in the direct sunlight for about three months, and she wore this bag over her head for three months with this happy face on it. It was like I can’t believe this is really happening.

Have you got any advice for freshers?
Kennedy: Don’t smoke. And stay in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment