Tuesday 19 January 2010

Interview - Jazica

Thats Jazz-Ikka. Not Jazz-Eeker as I keep calling them. Sorry kids.

Previously published on mINtSOUTH.com in October 2009
Words - Suzy Sims
Editor - Rob Ball
(c) mINtSOUTH

JAZICA - SOUTHSEA FEST 2009

mINtSOUTH: Tell me a bit about yourselves.
Chris: “We’re Jazica, we’ve been together about three years. We started off sounding all seasidey but now we’ve started going a bit darker and poppier.”
Frankie: “And dancier, and more fun onstage. Our aim is to finish a show with sweat from head to toe.”
Nick: “And we don’t even care whose sweat it is.”

mINtSOUTH: The Road To V competition – has that helped in any way?
Frankie: “For that we had to cram a set into 15 minutes, so we had to jump around, we had to get to that sweaty point in 15 minutes.”
Nick: “It’s opened a lot of doors actually, hasn’t it? Having the name out there now.”
Chris: “Our drummer was recognised in a cinema the other day. That’s quite exciting. Exciting this fame thing isn’t it?”
Nick: “I want to be recognised in Waitrose in Sheffield. Then I’ll know I’ve made it. That’s the goal.”

mINtSOUTH: Southsea Fest – discuss.
Frankie: “Really looking forward to [playing at Southsea Social Club]. It’s right next to the VIP lounge, so free booze all round. It’s a really cute little venue as well, it’s got a lost of space but it’s quite cosy still. The rest of the festival has been pretty good so far, seen a couple of random bands – the showcase winner (Ribbon) who was interesting, very theatrical. I can’t believe the weather, it’s amazing isn’t it?”
Chris: “To quote the guy we saw onstage earlier on, he said ‘The weather has come out.’ That was quote of the day so far.”

mINtSOUTH: Any bands you’re looking forward to seeing?
Jazica: “Blakfish and Tubelord. Joy Formidable. Thomas Tantrum, James Yuill, Band of Skulls, and Official Secrets Act, who are amazing.”
Frankie: “Fresh Legs I’d like to see, but I have seen them twice in the last week!”

mINtSOUTH: Which band member would you eat first on a desert island?
Chris: “We could eat Kev and still do gigs, because we’ve got an electric drum machine.”
Frankie: “That’s a really a disturbing question!”
Nick: “I’m seriously thinking about which bit I’d eat first, which is really worrying me.”

mINtSOUTH: Gorilla versus bear – who would win in a fight?
Nick: “I thought it said Godzilla versus bear! I thought that was a bit one-sided.”
Chris: “I recently saw a film called ‘Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus’. Not that you’ve asked me that question, but I’m going to tell you anyway. Really bad special effects, brilliant acting. A shark bites a plane from mid-flight. It’s definitely worth a watch… A gorilla would win I reckon.”
Nick: “It depends what sort of bear it is. Polar bears are quite tough.”
Chris: “I don’t know where we’re going with this.”
Frankie: “I think you should just say that sharks will win.”
Chris: “The shark was better. The octopus they hardly showed because you have to do more special effects with an octopus.”
Frankie: “Anyway…”

mINtSOUTH: How did you choose the name of your band?
Frankie: “I went to India and played a gig in a beach bar, and the guys there called me Jessica. They put it on the poster but they spelt it wrong and I kept the stage name.”
Chris: “We need to make up a new story don’t we?”
Frankie: “There was this massive shark, and it tried to bite this plane, and they called it Jaws but that had already been done before so they called it Jaz, and the plane was called Atlantica…”
Chris: “…It had Jaz tattooed on the side of its head, so when it bit the plane, put together it said Jazica.”
Nick: “Music with a bite.”

Shoutbox –
Jazica: “We’re supporting Delphic at the Joiners at the end of October – they’re amazing, a sea of sounds and hypnotic beats that just get you moving. Keep checking our MySpace, we’ve got a lot of new songs that we’re recording at the moment and there are some good ‘uns.”

Jazica - MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment